Sunday, October 23, 2011

review...

I thought I'd give a review on the vegetarian pub dinner party. I'd have to say that the ploughman's platter was the hit of the night: the bread was actually really good, especially slathered in butter; the pickles went great with beer; I ended up buying an Amish blue cheese that was fabulous with the granny smith apple; the other cheese I purchased was Dubliner(Irish cheese with stout) which was very smooth and creamy for a seeming hard-looking cheese.  And, then when everyone thought that was enough already, I brought out the English chips(potato nuggets) that roasted perfectly in the oven. They were fabulous with the malt vinegar dipping sauce.  The recipe called for the potatoes to be soaked in cold water for a half hour, and then patted very dry before roasting--they turned out perfectly with this technique.

I think we could have called it quits there, because, in my opinion, the lager stew that followed was lacking any really rich flavor. It just tasted like vegetable floating in tomato sauce to me.  The pasties weren't that great either with the crust being kind of tough, and silly me forgetting to put the gruyere cheese in them; but instead, putting it on top.

The beer was good. Hubby went out and bought a variety pack--gotta love that option.

And, don't forget, a wonderful chocolate cake, made by daughter, with coffee flavored butter frosting. Delicious!

Overall, a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment